Friday, September 19, 2014

Fiorenze! Michelangelo's David, heat and kindness

Well, you know, it's hot, and this tourist thing IS pretty tiring.  One way to get around the  Academia to see Michelangelo's David in comfort, is to faint just as you're going through the security check at the door....

The first thing that registered when I came to, was a burly security official clutching my feet to his chest as I lay on the blissfully cold floor, and all I could think was "oh you poor, brave man!"  These are not dainty Cinderella feet, and the footwear has been worn constantly for weeks.  In high temperatures.

So yeah, got the wheelchair treatment, got to see David in comfort, and then an early taxi ride back to the hotel.

Florence is hot!  Rome was hot!  Venice was hot!
Do you get the sense that Italy is warmer than I expected?

But gosh, these people I'm with are awesome.
Solicitous, kind, checked that I wasn't a diabetic or needed to take any other medication, rang the tour director who was guiding another group of us through the streets of Florence, pushed my wheelchair, just totally lovely people.

So not many photos of Florence.  And a reminder to drink much more water than I have been.  Because it's very hot!
And room service dinner.
I was ready for a rest and an early night, just didn't expect to get it with such publicity!


9 comments:

  1. The things you do to get attention!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I was close to the edge, but thought if I could just make it into the air-conditioned museum I'd be ok.....

      Delete
  2. Mama Mia!! Are you in princess mode? Hope the weather cools down for you a bit! Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of a throat infection, antibiotics on board, so the heat and waiting in line was just the last straw. Two early nights in a row now, so should be fine!

      Delete
    2. Thank God for ABs say I! (Z)
      Hope you are feeling better. What lovely companions (who have such good taste!)

      Delete
    3. Yes indeed, and for doctors who know their patients well enough to prescribe them!

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Hope you are feelng better (and cooler?) now! Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better today thank you! There's an awful lot of coughing on that bus though!

      Delete
  4. Oh no Ma! You poor thing! But I'm so pleased you're with such genuinely nice people!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Please share!