Thursday, April 10, 2014

And today as an extension of yesterday.........

So yesterday I blogged about so many things going wrong and ended by wondering what could be in store for me today...

Well of course the phone repairman didn't come back, and NATURALLY the intermittent fault was there and I couldn't ring out.  An hour on my cellphone to the provider and a new fault logged.  Yes it's the same fault but he had signed it off.  Well, it WAS working yesterday.  Anyone like to take bets on the likelihood of it working when he next appears?

Then I had an appointment at the hospital, I walked into the clinic and the lights went out.  Computers whirred down to silent, and the receptionist looked at me and said with a laugh, "Goodness!  Did you do that?!"  Hey, anything's possible at the moment!  So of course they were unable to access my records or the printer, but no sweat, scripts can be written by hand and consults don't need much in the way of electricity.  So I left and drove down town to the pharmacy, and it soon became obvious that this was not a small outage.  
All the traffic lights were out.  
All the shops were dark, it was pouring with rain and the traffic was barely moving.
Eventually I made it to the pharmacy - who couldn't dispense with no lights, computers, records, power.....  But who kindly did dispense one lone tablet - half tonight, half tomorrow, by which time surely the power would be back on?

Drove down my street - at last some easy driving!  Pulled up my drive, pressed the automatic door opener.... and realised it was powered by electricity.  
And that the only key I had on me was my car key.
I was effectively (and it transpired, securely) locked out.
Over to my lovely neighbours.
Tried all their spare keys......
Had success with knocking the back door key out of the door, but that wasn't the answer I had hoped for.
Was settling in for a who-knows-how-long-maybe-sleepover at the neighbours, and the lights came back on!
I was out the door so quickly in case it was just a 30-second flicker of power, but my integral garage door opened and I was in the house!  Wahoo!  But not all the city is as lucky, my mother's suburb among others is still in the cold, silent darkness.
Lightning strike apparently the cause.

Not sure if I should get out of bed tomorrow.....

Oh yes I'll need to go back to the pharmacy.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Please share!