Saturday, May 26, 2012

Intarsia and me

image title
"Digger Jacket" by Sam Godden

Spiderman Jacket - front
Intarsia is a style of knitting, usually to create pictures or multi-colour patterns, and in which each different colour (as in the Digger Jacket shown here) uses its own thread.  In other words, the threads are not carried across the back as in Fair Isle knitting.  I have done a fair amount of intarsia over the years, and with grandchildren, have made a couple in recent times.  This is a Spiderman zip up jacket made for James, and I'm now working on this Digger Jacket for Timothy.

Spiderman - back view
I'm doing both fronts and the back all on the one needle, so there'll be no sideseams, and at the moment it looks like this:
This is the inside or wrong side view but I'm very pleased with the way my little plastic bags have worked out!  For intarsia, one needs separate thread for each change of colour, as the colour isn't carried across the work.  Tangling is very easy!  This time, I have wound each separate yarn around my finger, leaving the "tail" which will be pulled from the inside of the tube of yarn, and slipping each into its own zip lock bag.  It's working well!
One of the key things with intarsia is to keep the tension even - easier to say than to achieve when one is juggling 30 different threads!  And it helps if you DON'T have a playful kitten (or an inquisitive toddler) around while you're working at it!


11 comments:

  1. Oh you know what you need? A cable? You so should be doing it on a circ if you're not, you'll find it soooo much easier with more room! But you're fabulous! The boys are going to love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have circs Ju, but thought the firmness of the needle would make it easier to manage. The circs WOULD have more room!

      Delete
  2. You are far more patient than me!! We must pass that spiderman jacket on actually, its a bit small for James now, perfect for Tim I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim will be pleased I'm sure! And it'll be a while before I finish this digger one!

      Delete
    2. OMG The digger jacket is so awesome! Abi would go nuts if she saw it. Clever Nanna

      Delete
    3. Hopefully there's a chance she may see it on Tim before he grows bigger than the size I'm making!! Best I get on and get some more done on it!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I am trying to find the pattern for the digger jacket pictured above. For some reason it has disappeared from Ravelry. Would it be possible to have a copy sent to my email address:
    terrys.caspians@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Teresa, yes I do still have the pattern, and have mailed it to you. Enjoy! Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this exist with the original back red spider? Anyway, i'm planning to knit this in cashmere, so if I could have the pattern, that would be awesome :-) - thanks in adavance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't have an actual pattern, and when I got to he shoulders the black web markings didn't line up and I had to fudge it, so I didn't even keep my notes, knowing I wouldn't be making it again.

      Delete
  6. The jacket of the season for me has to be the Bomber Jacket. i love this jacket so much!!! I always get questions where i get it from and I'm glad to get it from Famous movie jackets. They have huge variety of leatherjackets, Spiderman Homecoming Leather Jacket, movies jackets and lots of more.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Please share!