Friday, January 13, 2012

Cherry Bowl

This morning a man came up my drive, and presented me with a beautiful wooden bowl.  Not the sort of thing that happens every day, in fact I'd go so far to say that it's never happened before and is unlikely to again.  A sort of once in a lifetime event really.

Four years ago, I had an ornamental cherry tree chopped down, and someone (and for the life of me I have no idea who - maybe the person who chopped it?  who was......??!) suggested that if I didn't want the timber, they knew of a man who did woodturning who would appreciate it.

The tree was an ugly thing in the winter, having been pruned so that it had no branches except at the top, but in the summer it was a glorious umbrella. 

Daughter #1's pre-wedding photos taken under it, show it at the far left.

It had a lovely big straight trunk, and apparently the woodturner, George was delighted with it.

Today he brought me a bowl he'd made from it, and there is something inestimably special about having a beautiful bowl made from a tree that used to grow in one's own garden.

Thank you George, and may 2012 be a prosperous and happy year for you!





5 comments:

  1. wow! lovely story and lovely-looking bowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morg! It is indeed a lovely bowl!

      Delete
  2. Very cool! Ron Allen wasn't it?? I remember you telling me about the man being estatic about your tree rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm not at all sure. May have been Janet Walters, whose Vern used to do woodturning...

      Delete
  3. Wow that is so cool! Love the story behind objects and that one is a very cool one. How wonderful that he gave you a bowl from your tree. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Please share!