Monday, September 14, 2009

The Agony and the Ecstasy

In the last month, two of my daughters have had babies. In fact in the last couple of years, I’ve amassed a wonderful five grandchildren! These precious little beings are such a joy to everyone who meets them, if at times a worry to their parents.

I can relate cute stories of what each of them did or said or how they reacted, and I frequently do, stopping only when the eyes of my listener glaze over and I realise they’ve heard enough to know I adore my babies!

I’ve earned the right to bore people. Because the hardest, most worrying time of all, is having your daughter in labour. I think I hold my breath for the entire duration, from the moment I realise they’re having early symptoms until I know both she and the babe are safe. It’s scary stuff. This daughter, this precious babe of my own, is roller-coasting into a new life of her own, one with yet another new life alongside hers. There is so much that can go wrong. And yet, marvellously, so often, it all goes so very right - the difficult hurdles are cleared, the dangerous traps are avoided, and the less than perfect outcomes are repaired.

And Nana has another new little baby to love.








The two new grandbabies

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Please share!